Sunday, June 12, 2011

when it raines it pours

Last weekend was busy enough with Ellies birthday, Baptism, and family in town....but it all got so much more complicated SO FAST!!

I'll give ya the whole story if you want to read, if not you can just scroll down to the sad pictures of my baby in a teeny tiny hospital gown.

Monday night (the 6th) I noticed Sawyer had a 1inch spot on his foot that was red and a little swollen and it made him walk a little funny. But he was happy so I didn't really think that much of it. I ran some errands in the car and he fell asleep for about an hour. When I went to get him out he was so hot (104 temp) and his foot was bright red and almost bruised looking. It had also swelled up so bad he wouldn't let me touch it.
I meet Scott at our Pediatrician's office and were quickly sent to the ER. Initially they thought it might have been a spider bite. He was diagnosed as having a bacterial infection called Cellulitus. Which we now think came from a scratch he had on his foot a few days earlier that got infected. He was given every kind of test you could imagine. He had a catheter, had blood drawn, had 2 Xrays, an ultrasound, and then an IV was put in.
We were admitted and he was immediately put on an IV antibiotic. He stayed at 104 for a day when the Tylenol wore off and it didn't go down till we had been there 2 days. We started to see improvement on Wednesday but the doctors worried that the infection might be in the bone.

They didn't feel comfortable doing an MRI on him in Klamath and we were scheduled to head up to Medford or Portland to get one. But then they suggested we try a bone scan. It's results were inconclusive but to be safe they decided to treat it as if it was in the bone. So he needed a PIC line put in. If you don't know what that is it's a lot like an IV but it goes into a vein and a small tube is inserted and runs up the arm and shoulder and rests near the heart. YEA....SCARY!!!

So after 5 days in the hospital in Klamath we headed up to Medford and he was taken out of my arms and walked away with a total stranger to undergo anesthesia and as sad as I was it made me smile to see him smiling and pointing to the ceiling saying "Look" to show this stranger the lights. He was such a good boy through out this whole thing.

All went well and we were admitted overnight for more chest Xrays and blood tests.
The blood test came back saying that his liver might be not happy with the antibiotics and this has set us up with even more to deal with on top of 3 WEEKS of IV antibiotics at home. We have to flush out his PIC line every 2 hours for 3 weeks and every 7 hours he has to be hooked up to a pump that administers his antibiotics.

It has been a very stressful and crazy week and at the end I am so glad that he will be ok and that we have such fantastic Doctors, Nurses, Hospitals and medication to rely on.
Also, that we have the support of Family (who took care of getting all the other kids to and from school on their last week of school.... who cared for them night and day for a week...and who came to keep us company in the hospital)
For Friends (who also took care of our other kiddo's...who called, texted, emailed and came up to check on us... and brought my family delicious meals.)
And for the blessings of our Heavenly Father who kept us comforted and our sweet boy safe.
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.


meg baker said...

Oh I'm so sorry. I'm in tears here! I'm so glad he is okay. What a crazy thing. I too feel so blessed for modern medicine. So glad things are doing good.

Josh and Jena said...

Oh Jaime, I'm so sorry! What a stressful thing. I'm so glad that things are okay...even if it will be an annoying few weeks with the medicine and PIC line. Oye! Wish I were there to help out (if there is anything I can do PLEASE let me know!!)!

Nicole said...

Jaime!! That is terrible!! Isn't it amazing how quickly infection can set in? We went through that same scenario with Chad, only the ending was not quite as nice. Chad is now missing half of his left foot! He had a PICC line for 8 months while we tried to fight it. I can't even imagine my little baby having a PICC line. I am so glad that things are going to be okay...

Amber said...

So scary! So glad he'll be alright. From the pics he looked like a pretty happy camper throughout the ordeal at least, but man!

Molly said...

I didn't even know you were going through all this! So sorry! Wish we could have helped. Don't hesitate to ask for help from us anytime! It's always nice to have new helpers!

Boyters said...

oh my goodness. I had no idea. so glad all is going well. you guys are in our thoughts and prayers.

Kara said...

Poor Sawyer and poor you. Keeping a one year old i a hospital sounds so crazy.